Saturday, February 24, 2007

Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out of Balance (1983)

Documentary. When Koyaanisqatsi came out in 1983, a local reviewer called it one of the 10 best films of the year -- so I began keeping a films-to-watch list and put it in the number-one spot. Well, I've finally gotten around to watching it! (Thanks, Netflix. In my defense, I just learned that it was out of print for 10-12 years across the 1990s.) Koyaanisqatsi is indeed an innovative marriage of artistically directed cinematography and the neo-cum-classical compositions of Phillip Glass -- sort of like a Pink Floyd video with a Yo-Yo Ma soundtrack. After seeing the second and third installments of the Qatsi trilogy, my 9-year-old son is interested in seeing this one too. I would watch it again anytime, though my favorite of the three is Powaqqatsi. By the way, this is clearly one of those movies where half the audience cries "Brilliant!" and the other half cries "Garbage!" My conclusion? When I can watch an artistically inventive movie and find a constant flow of thoughts and insights to draw upon, yet another sees nothing -- I choose perception and inspiration. As for the Hollywood clones, let them eat Cage. 5 stars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home