Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005)

Boy, am I glad I didn't waste good money on this stinker in the theater. A tiny pearl of loving sentiment at the end lies awash in potty-mouthed bilge for the preceding 2-1/4 hours (3/4 hour too long). The sewer of words just never stops! I try to avoid trash-mouth movies but this is the worst I have seen since Born on the Fourth of July. There is a redeeming value in comparing the sweetness and innocence of Steve Carell's non-sex-fixated adult life (nerdy though it be) with the raging immaturity, vulgarity, and promiscuity of every other person around him (including a half-dozen who in the real world would be promptly fired or placed under arrest). Steve even stands up for his lifestyle choice despite constant public humiliation -- bravo! His dating relationship with Catherine Keener is a gem because it pays attention to true love and it waits for marriage. The Age of Aquarius reprise over the closing credits is entertaining because it includes every character but this movie is no There's Something About Mary. Still, I feel so dirty that I can only give it 2.5 stars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home