Monday, February 16, 2009

White Nights (1985)

If you consider ancient history to be such things as the 1980s or the Cold War, at least don't equate these two things with "cheese" and "what were the superpowers thinking?" Nothing is ever completely outmoded -- will disco and bellbottoms ever die? -- and the Cold War was a deadly serious era in world history. I saw White Nights in the theater and on videotape and I remain impressed with its dead-on sense of cultural accuracy -- and, Lord, the dancing! I am not a dance or ballet aficionado per se but I can appreciate an astounding and world-class performance when I see it. Baryshnikov was a god and Hines was a lord of dance; together they are simply incredible. For me, White Nights captured the abject fear of life in Soviet captivity coupled with the joy of dance and the determination to escape. Come at long last to DVD in August 2006 and finally available on this service two years later. Don't miss it! 4 stars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home