Sunday, March 29, 2009

True Lies (1994)

True Lies is my favorite Arnold Schwarzenegger comedy. Ditto for Tom Arnold. Ditto for Jamie Lee Curtis (though if I were female, her trump card might be Freaky Friday). Ditto for Bill Paxton (Simon the seedy salesman/lothario with a secret agent schtick). Yep, True Lies is all-around good comedy. Great story. Good laughs. Good times. I'm always happy to catch it on cable plus I own the video. It just has so many classic lines, each one played to the hilt for comic timing. Tom Arnold: "Women--you can't live with them, you can't kill them." Ahnuld: "Sorry... Sorry..." Jamie: *Thud!* I mean really, True Lies is full of so many classic secret agent scenes (serious and schmaltzy) that it plays the perfect balance between taking itself seriously and just having fun with it. It's fast-paced, full of action, character-driven, and hilarious. What's not to love? For all-around superb mass-market comedies, True Lies is one of my all-time favorites. 5 stars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home