Thursday, May 13, 2010

Starz Studios: The Perfect Game / Death at a Funeral / The Secret In Their Eyes (2010)

This 12-minute Starz featurette breezes through Date Night and Kick-Ass with more-than-a-trailer treatments, including a not-that-funny mutual interview between Tina Fey and Steve Carrell. Next, we spin past a spate of emerging products at ShoWest in L.A., with quickie promo spiels for an immersive sound system, theater trash cans, shrinkwrapped pickles, and so on. (Yawn.) Finally, we get 15- to 30-second drive-bys for Party Down (a TV series), DisneyNature's Oceans, The Perfect Game, Who Do You Love, No One Knows About Persian Cats, and The Secret in Their Eyes. Now ideally, I think a Starz featurette should either expand on the trailer of a major movie or enticingly portray the essence of an independent or foreign film. In this case, however, none of the material in this featurette gave me any useful or appealing information about the movies mentioned. As a result, I remained clueless or unconvinced about seeing any movie about which I had not already heard or made up my mind. In other words, I have previously decided to see Date Night, Kick-Ass, and Oceans and this featurette gave me nothing that was tantalizing and even left a few bubbles of sour taste in my mouth. Note: This featurette does not include Death at a Funeral as the title indicates; that preview appears in the Starz featurette titled with The Back-up Plan. 2 stars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home