Saturday, June 05, 2010

Mr. and Mrs. Smith (2005)

I liked Mr. and Mrs. Smith so well that I use it as my 4-star litmus-test movie for romantic comedies: If I like a movie less than this Smith vs. Smith shoot-em-up sendup of spy movies, it gets less than 4 stars. The Smiths, for me, simply drew a line in the sand and said to other movies, "Go ahead. We dare you. Cross that line" (and you just know that crossing the line would really make their day). Our story? Brad Pitt is an accomplished cloak-and-dagger kind of spy (though for whom is unclear). Angelina Jolie is also an accomplished claymore-and-sniper kind of spy (though for whom is unclear). Brad and Angie are joined in an insipid marriage ("I added peas to the casserole." "Oh, really?") because each one's cover precludes revealing he or she is a spy even or esp. to one's spouse. Next, the piece de resistance: His organization assigns him an assassination, and her organization assigns her an assassination. Only after the fireworks begin does each spy recognize who is in their target sights. No matter: A hit is a hit. After all, it's just business. High-caliber mayhem and car-chase scenes ensue, accompanied by some memorable one-liners ("Baby? Are you still alive?"). You have to watch it to find out what happens. I like to watch it whenever I feel like some good mindless mayhem. I'm not sure if their way of settling differences is cheaper than marriage counseling but it's probably a lot more effective (as far as it goes). Enjoy! 4 stars. (5-17 posted 6-5-10)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home