Saturday, August 07, 2010

Brian Regan: Standing Up (2007)

Standing Up is my first exposure to Brian Regan and I agree with those who think he's very funny. I really liked this performance and laughed quite a bit. His observational humor is intelligent and original. (Few jokes are absolutely original but Brian's humor is also so physical -- esp. his rubber-faced expressions -- that he finds a way to make each comic moment fresh and new.) Funny thing: With his mighty-morphing face, he often looks like Will Ferrell or Kevin Bacon or Christian Slater or Gary Shandling or even others. It is true that his language is barely blue at all -- a few uses of "hell" but no f-bombs or s-bombs -- so technically my kids could watch him even if they might not appreciate his humor like I do. Brian riffs for quite a while on family esp. married life as well as TV programming like the antiques road show, golf, news, and politics. In short: Watch him. It's 42 minutes well-spent. If you like him, see more (though I think Standing Up is funnier than The Epitome of Hyperbole). 4 stars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home