Monday, September 05, 2016

A Perfect Murder (1998)

Some kvetch and kibbitz that A Perfect Murder does not show a perfect murder, whereas I see the title as ironic: Murder does not follow a neat plan, so Michael Douglas's financier character is scrambling to tie up loose ends (even as some of those loose ends are trying to tie him down). How much suspense could a clockwork murder bring, with airtight alibis and a successful escape? Instead, it is the unforeseen developments and twists of fate that make for edge-of-the-seat drama here. This movie is no Deathtrap or Fatal Attraction, but I thought it was very good and held together quite well, from the acting ensemble (Michael Douglas, Gwyneth Paltrow, Viggo Mortensen, and David Suchet) to the staging, editing, and soundtrack. I am divided between giving it 4 or 4.5 stars. On reflection, I guess I will give it 4.5 stars. Enjoy! (9-4-2016)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home