Friday, May 12, 2006

Rent (2005)

I can't compare the movie to the Tony and Pulitzer award-winning Broadway play, but I do find all the music to be exceptionally well composed, arranged, and sung. Great vocal and stage performances, individually and in ensemble! (Yes, obviously the soundtrack is studio-recorded on top of the video; all movies are made that way now.) The story examines one year ("525,600 Minutes") in the lives of three couples and one friend (penniless artists all), the last posing as the chronicler. Two-thirds of the partners are gay and two-thirds are HIV-positive. Their stories are told with amazing sensitivity. I knew nothing of the storyline when I first saw Rent, and I was deeply moved. I know this is only Broadway, but we should all be so blessed as to know someone like Angel in our lives. Humanitarian compassion for the downcast of our society should never be crushed by the Republicans. Let us toast La vie Boheme! Five stars.

I can't get enough of the music of Rent. This bonus materials disc has deleted scenes and a making-of-Rent (theatre and film versions) that total two hours. I began to wonder how many times they could fade in on the same photos of Jonathan--but I didn't know anything about his life and work. What an amazing talent! You'll learn that people who were Rent addicts and camped out in the ticket lines are called rentheads. Jon's family and friends must be superb people. Three stars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home