Tuesday, December 11, 2007

VeggieTales: Dance of the Cucumber (2006)

OK, I'll admit it: Cute...! I've stayed away from VeggieTales for years because of the schmaltz factor and only dipped my toe in the waters by viewing a few discs over the past year. I recognized from the start that VeggieTales (1) has fine production values (animation, musical composition, editing, voice talent) and (2) is never going to get less schmaltzy (campy, obnoxiously funny, you get the idea). Oh well, I'll deal with it. Several of Larry's "silly songs" on this disc are cute enough to pass schmaltz, esp. Pizza Angel and Sport Utility Vehicle (an SUV-centered love song that parodies SUV drivers' motivations and trills "we'll slam into 4-wheel drive and pick up a dozen eggs"). The best song of all is the final one, My Day. 3 stars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home