Friday, March 14, 2008

Goldeneye (1995)

Goldeneye is a very good Bond movie, harking back to Conneryesque themes and updated for primo high-tech spy gear, chase scenes, and sexy women. The criticisms never fail to confound me, however. If Goldeneye is not believable, does it then follow that Goldfinger (or any other Bond movie) was believable? Just enjoy each Bond movie for what it is. Bond is about exotic locations, GQ meets MI-6, the spectacle of the chase, sexiness, and campy one-liners. You get what you pay for. I really like Pierce Brosnan's Bond: urbane, aloof, unstoppable, and preeminently deadly. I especially like a cold devious villain and Sean Bean as MI-6 turncoat Alex Trevelyan can always excel at that. My God, let's not forget Famke Janssen as Xenia Onatopp (the sexpot always has a sex-pun name)! She's not only deadly but lovin' it. I think I speak for most men in saying that if we have to go, we'd pick Famke over lethal injection every time. Every Bond movie is made to be big, to outdo itself, to be a greater spectacle than ever before. Goldeneye's chase and fight scenes are always worth another viewing. 4.5 stars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home