Sunday, March 09, 2008

A Bit of Fry and Laurie: Season 1 (1989)

TV. These guys are hilarious! A blend of Monty Python and Kids in the Hall, Steven Fry and Hugh Laurie are literate, glib, droll, and diversely talented. (Hugh is a master pianist.) I didn't see the same hair style twice among dozens of sketches and they dress up as women too. One of my favorite recurring sketches is the incredibly polite department of national security. Their British humor is arch or possibly arcane to some; I was delighted to follow every word, however, it did get a bit taxing after watching nearly the whole disc in two stints. I didn't get some cultural references to UK personalities (from the 80s) nor could I appreciate the cryptic on-the-street bits (for example, in its entirety: "I'm not going to suck it") in between the sketches. 4.5 stars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home