Thursday, May 19, 2016

Do Not Adjust Your Set (1967)

I'm glad to have seen this two-disc series as a Python completist, even though one-third is not funny and one-third is terminally silly (mugging to the camera and juvenile prop comedy). Seeing everyone in their native habitat (even the silly bits and the dangly bits) shows you the diamond in the rough that became Monty Python in all its awesome lunacy. Your favorite parts may not be my favorite parts, but you will have favorite parts. Speaking for myself, I had never heard of The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band (which appears in every show) and did not know they recorded the song Death Cab for Cutie (which appears here and for which the contemporary band took its name). Captain Fantastic (no relation to Elton John) is a silly melodrama that also appears in every show. Now I'd like to learn the words for "Never Complain About British Nosh" so I can sing it in public (only when certain I won't be drummed out of the room). I also need to get my hands on this troupe's And Now the 1948 News. Enjoy! 3.5 stars. (5-14-2016)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home