Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Children of Men (2006)

I finally watched Children of Men on DVD last night. I would like to own this movie because of its chilling apocalyptic vision and frisson of hope gliding through the thready vestiges of humanity. I was rapt in attention throughout and gripping my cushions during the final scenes. Partly it was the realism-on-steroids setting of "Ramallah meets District 13 in Great Britain" but also the ingeniousness of Michael Caine's character (and Julianne Moore's character, esp. her backstory). Clive Owens carries the film from start to finish, rising to the challenge as it becomes fully revealed. He must take his pilgrims through a war zone, with the salvation of humanity in the balance. I suspect this film is even more suspenseful now, another 10 years since Beirut but with Syria still under siege. The soundtrack was excellent and also worth owning, in my mind. Despite the intense grittiness of the setting, Children of Men felt like a spiritual movie to me, centered on an epiphany and its effect on all those who become involved. Enjoy! 5 stars. (6-27-2017)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home