Monday, October 09, 2017

Ryan Hamilton: Happy Face (2017)

This was my first exposure to Ryan Hamilton, who is quite a good comedian, esp. (or maybe because) he keeps it clean. (Happy Face refers to his simply huge grin, and Wikipedia confirmed my impression that he is a Mormon.) He was tepid for the first half of this show, so I was on a slow simmer (if bubbles are chuckles), but I hit a rolling boil (of laughter) once he started on his experiences with online dating, balloon riding, and skydiving. (Women date online to "explore their options," while men date online after they have "exhausted their options.") His material is original, fresh, polished, and relevant. He is edgiest when discussing a guy smoking crack on the commuter train, and how a self-described "balloonist" couple took offense at his bit on ballooning, but he takes friendly digs at all manner of people and all ages. If the first half of this show were as inspired as the second half, I would have given it 4 stars. If Ryan keeps this up, he has the potential to be even more funny (and mordant), and join the ranks of my five favorite comedians. Enjoy! 3.5 stars. (10-9-2017)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home