Monday, October 30, 2017

Jack Whitehall: At Large (2017)

I read others' reviews after watching this Netflix comedy special -- so this is why our subscription rates are going up? -- even the nonreviews where people gave up after watching 8 minutes of this dreck. I think I can assure everyone that it is not British comedians who are unfunny, it is not you or me who lacks a funnybone -- it is this guy who is not funny. (Your mileage may vary.) First, he giggles and burbles and cackles constantly in the most juvenile fashion. (What was he on?) Second, he commits the sin of laughing at his own jokes -- while telling them. (I think the few viewers who liked him were just caught up in his fake mirth contagion.) Third, he tells the most lame, overused jokes -- which others do much better -- including the tired "Oh no, I accidentally told you their name!" patter. The only funny part was at the end, where he plays off his single-line role in Frozen (cut from the theatrical release) while wearing a large "troll" outfit (and remaining off-camera half the time). Here is one overblown puff of hot air I do not look forward to watching again -- though you may enjoy! 2.5 stars. (10-30-2017)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home