Tuesday, October 10, 2017

The Saint (2017)

This direct-to-DVD reboot of the story of Simon Templar (The Saint) held my interest well. (In fact, I tried multitasking, which I rarely do while streaming a film, but found I had to focus on watching the movie straight through to catch everything and enjoy it fully.) The photography is quite good, the chase scenes and martial arts are impressive, but my favorite is the irrepressibly polite and versatile Simon Templar. (While escaping after an intense confrontation with one baddie, he is asked if he can "muster" the strength for the next phase, and says "Of course I can muster. I'm British. We invented muster.") This is no James Bond movie, or The Saint with Val Kilmer; it is clearly made-for-TV fare (esp. when a hail of bullets make no impact sounds on the other side of the room, or when Simon's "associate" talks him through a building infiltration by describing the next step, which he has already been doing for 20 seconds). Enjoy! 4 stars. (10-10-17)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home