Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Chlorox, Ammonia and Coffee (2005)

As a Minnesotan for my first 40 years, I love Scandinavian and dark comedy. This Norwegian film, however, is billed as a comedy and a "wickedly funny melodrama" (terms I would apply to Kitchen Stories or Waking Ned Devine). I am glad I finally got to see it, since it was a Save title on this service for a decade before becoming an Add title, but it was nothing as described or expected. Normally I am fine with that too, since each film is what it is and should be enjoyed on that basis. However, this film tried to be Crash or Babel or Amelie without the cinematography, casting, scriptwriting, editing, and acting. I found nothing to like in any character save the blandly agreeable grocer. Many of the coincidental connections stretch credulity, culminating in the weirdest scene where the grandmother is suspended in midair, pondering the justification of her existence, after she has been hit by a car driven by her coke-addled son. Scene transitions are abrupt and often cryptic. I assume the trampoline moments are meant to be funny. The ending is unsatisfactory. I hope you can enjoy it more! 2 stars. (1-24-2018)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home