Friday, December 15, 2017

Darkest Hour (2017)

I saw Darkest Hour previewed in Houston three days before it opened, and greatly enjoyed it. In a surprising benefit to the preview, the great-grandson of Winston Churchill was present to introduce the film and to ably answer questions afterwards. (He "married a Texan" and speaks eloquently of his forefather's legacy -- historic, world-saving, and then cast aside after the war.) Gary Oldman deserves an Oscar for his performance. Touches of humor are smart and wry. The film only covers the span from shortly before Churchill's elevation to British Prime Minister to his historic "never surrender" speech, and left me wanting more. I felt like I was there with Churchill, experiencing the man through his words and actions, on which the US and the UK soon after founded their "special relationship." I will see this movie again with a British friend. Enjoy! 4.5 stars. (12-15-2017)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home